Dear blog, I have just celebrated my 19th Birthday.There was no fancy food or delicious cakes.
There was no big presents wrapped up nicely in expensive gift wrappers.
There was no boisterous screaming of excitement and binge drinking.
Everything was simple but enjoyable.My friends and I talked about the local happenings in Malaysia.We expressed different views on the political scene in our respective countries.We talked about donating blood.We gossiped.We laughed.We ate the food that we ordered from the menu while listening attentively at the discussions we had.
It was definitely memorable for me as I truly consider that should be the way for a person to celebrate his/her birthday.In our modern society, birthdays have become so commercialized that it gives me chills just to think of the overwhelming designs of gift wrappers and greeting cards found abundantly in stationary amd gift stores.We often heard of the notion that its the thoughts that really counts and gifts should not be valued according to their worth in the market.
Still, as hypocrite as I might sound, i do yearn for an expensive or an present chosen from the exquisite tastes of the giver.We all adore fancy gifts.We hope for big parties.We hope to hear people calling our names, wishing us a happy birthday.We enjoy being in the company of our family members and friends in celebrating this auspicious day in our life.Still, I do feel that company makes a whole lot of difference in defining one's birthday.
This year, my friends did not throw a big party for me.We did not go for the most expensive restaurant in town.Yet, I felt satisfied at being able to see the faces of people whom i met yaears ago, gathered at the restaurant despite the heavy raining.It shows that they care and I strongly believe that should be the way.
Birthdays ae the day that marks the continuation of life a step closer to the grave.My funeral might not be attended by a large crowd of people who would mourn for me and speak reverentially of my name, thinking of the deeds that i have committed in life.However, all of these does not matter.What matters most is that there's that special group of people who are there for me in my journey of life.
Thank you, my friends.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
long time never update your blog ah?
Post a Comment