A very dear old friend of mine stumbled upon you by sheer accident and started questioning me the rationality behind proclaiming myself as a caterpillar.

An ugly, insignificant caterpillar like this?
A caterpillar is a symbol that I use to represent the stages of my growth.Similar to the caterpillar that consumes a lot of nutrients before it gains the necessary energy that drives its rapid transformation into a cocoon and a proud butterfly, I too follow the same practice.
The caterpillar is voracious in its appetite for green leaves and can be seen devouring a huge green leaves within minutes with its small jab.As a human being, our consumption of matter normally exist in the food we eat and the drinks we take in.
How about the intellectual side of life? Aren't we suppose to take that into consideration also? For me life without thinking of anything is a definitely an escape from the increasingly demanding college life that I'm going through.However as the short story "the lotus eater" suggests, men are so confined with their present comfort that they started to lose interest in the things that make their life more colorful.
Imagine what a pity it would be to be blessed with the ability to change the circumstances we are in and yet we choose to say no to hardships and struggle just because the prospect of not doing anything with the lowest effort possible has greatly influenced influenced our decisions.The illusions are real for us and nothing can save us from the clutches of a dull lifestyle except for the sudden revelation that is too late for us.
The caterpillar has a shorter lifespan compared to most animals.But does this serve as a reason for it to be pessimistic about like and reluctantly select to look down on the leave that it's now resting and sigh:" I'm a wretched caterpillar." ?
You might argue that I'm romanticizing the life of caterpillars like what those before me did, but I feel that every living being regardless of its intellectual capacity and aesthetic appreciation of life has the basic instinct to life and to make decision to ensure its survival without knowing how many changes that might be resulted from the change.
Dear blog, I want to fly high above the mountains with my wings spread widely without worries to bind me to the solid ground.But before that, I need to be in a cocoon, a stage that stores immense potential that would shock and amaze the world when a beautiful butterfly flaps its wing from the insignificant looking cocoon.That's how I guess a caterpillar would feel if it was me.After all, everyone wants to change and become something that captures the attention of others.It is a reflection of hopeless and vain we are in expressing our selves.
That's life I'm afraid.

Dear blog,
Won't you agree that all of those taunts and jeers from the ignorant and the blind are worth it after seeing this picture?
1 comment:
very poetic post and I can't help but wondering am I a caterpillar as well?
I always regard myself as a more unfortunate caterpillar than the others because I've missed a lot of things in my hibernation.
Everyone is a caterpillar but not everyone evolves into a butterfly. Some people just stop evolving because they choose not to honour their role as a caterpillar.
To me caterpillar is a vital stage where I receive my nourishment and preparation. I'm glad to say although I missed lots of things, I've no regret because one day to come, I'll be that butterfly.
Post a Comment